Things My Teacher Should Know About Me
By Mattie Lorenzen
Yesterday I realized that my teachers and therapists at school do not know me very well, so I thought that I should make this list of things that you should know about me.
1. Even though I’m in a wheelchair, I can walk. I use my wheelchair when I get tired, or to keep me from getting tired.
2. I have a hearing aid called a BAHA. BAHA stands for Bone-anchored Hearing Aid.When I don't have it on I can only hear out of my left ear. When I do have it on I can hear on both sides. Background noise makes it hard for me to hear either way.
3. I cannot wear headphones.
4. It bothers me when you make assumptions of things I can’t do because I’m in a wheelchair. You should ask for my input instead of making assumptions.
5. I do not like being pulled out of the room in the middle of class. I really like school, and I don’t ever want to miss anything.
6. Because my hand gets tired when I write too much, I like typing better than writing. You will always get better work from me when I have a computer to type on.
7. If you have a question about me, ask ME! I know myself pretty well! My IEP has a lot of information, too.
It is most frustrating to me when you treat me like I am not capable of doing anything. I am smart and eager to learn. When I’m not at school, I like to read and play the piano. I am capable of many things. Please take the time to get to know me better!